Tuesday, March 15, 2005

selective service

Mollie had 5 students in a row this afternoon so we got to play with Henry and Jude for longer than usual. Hurray!!!! Since Henry hadn’t had a nap, which could be either a very good thing or a very bad thing, Ben decided that they would walk down to the park. It should only take 3 minutes to walk there, 3 minutes if your legs are normal in length and you are only thinking “I am walking to the park.” But when you are almost 3 and stop for every crawling bug, every interesting leaf, each rock that seems to say “put me in your pocket” it is a long walk.

As they went out the door, I mused at how much they look alike, dark blonde curls bouncing with each step, large-for-their-age bodies lumbering along. It seems like just last week when Ben was the little one walking to the park. I blinked.

When they got home, Ben found his selective service card in the mail. He teased me that he would have to join the Marines if we go to war with China. I told him that there would be an upside to that sort of event….a haircut! We both laughed but inside I died. Just the thought of my son in war was more than I could bare in this beautiful almost spring weather. Then I told him that Wal-Mart will never let it happen anyway and we both laughed again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home