Tuesday, May 03, 2005

70's flashback

Every once in a while I would like to echo Nancy Reagan and scream "Just say no", to check myself in to a mom's rehab, some place where no one had to be driven anywhere, thus propelling me straight to the gas pumps. It is not to be...there are guitar lessons to be taken, church services to attend, orthodondist appointments to keep, miles to go before I sleep.

The other day, as I drove away from the BP station near my house, still in a fume-induced stupor and shock at actually paying OVER $50.00 to fill my gas tank, I had a major flashback. Quick, give me some John Denver. I need more than sunshine on my shoulder.

My kids demanded an explanation for the dilated pupils and the drool running down my chin. In my mind, it was 1971, I had just graduated from high school, and had my own set of keys to the 1968 Ford wagon, the avocado green model (no wood panels) with the extra set of seats in the rear. It seated 10, me and 9 friends at the Hillcrest Drive-In. It was cool, except when I had to parallel park.

I could fill the tank of that tank for $5.00...that is an evening of babysitting in exchange for driving back and forth from Farmington to Canton a couple dozen times.

Sometimes, especially when I go to the mall, I think I am back in 1971...bell-bottom pants, hip-huggers, paisley fabric, jute sandals,large hoop earrings. I suspect that Farrah Fawcett and her feathered hair will be making a come-back any day. I hope she brings along retro-gas prices.

4 Comments:

At 2:13 PM, Blogger Stacie said...

I saw a preview for a reality show starring Farrah. Gas prices in Bakersfield are supposed to be among the highest in the nation - I think in the 2.60s a gallon. You would think since we have to look at these desolate oil fields day in and day out the oil people would have some mercy on us and give us cheaper gas.

 
At 2:27 PM, Blogger prairie girl said...

You would think so now wouldn't you!!!

I can remember when Farrah first was on tv. I had really long hair and kept wanting to cut it, all feathered back from my face. I never did, however. Maybe the next time around.....

 
At 9:16 AM, Blogger Barbara said...

Having just discovered your blog, I must say, this was the perfect first post for me to read! I'm your age, and my gang of friends used to bomb around in one of those Ford tank/wagons too! Thanks for the little trip down memory lane.

 
At 12:10 PM, Blogger prairie girl said...

Barb,

Welcome to my blog, Barb!
I have lots more thoughts that will wind their way here and most of them are nostalgic!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home