Monday, March 28, 2005

polkadots and moonbeams

Clay and I almost took ballroom dancing lessons once. It was a couple years ago when Clayton and Stacie were planning their wedding and reception. They talked of dancing and so I asked Clay if he would take a handful of lessons with me and we would surprise the children with our amazing skills and previously unknown symmetry and grace. He agreed, somewhat reluctantly. Ah ha, he still has gypsy in his soul.

As it turned out, there was no dancing at the reception and we didn't take the lessons. But sometimes,late in the night when I am watching him sleep and the moonlight is splashed across his peaceful face, I think it would have been nice.

This song was on the John Denver albumn Ben bought for me for Christmas....


Polkadots and Moonbeams

A country dance was being held in a garden
I felt a bump and heard an Oh, beg your pardon
Suddenly I saw polka dots and moonbeams
All around a pug-nosed dream

The music started and was I the perplexed one
I held my breath and said May I have the next one
In my frightened arms, polka dots and moonbeams
Sparkled on a pug-nosed dream

There were questions in the eyes of other dancers
As we floated over the floor
There were questions but my heart knew all the answers
And perhaps a few things more

Now in a cottage made of lilacs and laughter
I know the meaning of the words ever after
And Ill always see polka dots and moonbeams
When I kiss my pug-nosed dream

Words by Johnny Burke, Music by Jimmy van Heusen,
Sung by John Denver

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home