Friday, August 26, 2005

friday's quotes of the week

Heard, read, or spoken by me this week:

"I don't worry about dumb blonde jokes because I know I'm not dumb. I also know I'm not blonde."

Dolly Parton


"Teenagers in Canton don't need more activities or places to hang out. Teenagers in Canton need parents who are willing to spend time with them."


Mom to Toastmasters Club


"You can't wear a pink sweater on your legs to church."


Daughter to grandson


"Does Turbo-man carry a hotdog bun?"

"Yes, he does."


Exchange between daughter and grandson


"An art work has value as a creation because man is made in the image of God, and therefore man not only can love and think and feel emotion, but also has the capacity to create. Being in the image of the Creator, we are called upon to have creativity. We never find an animal, non-man, making a work of art. On the other hand, we never find men anywhere in the world or in any culture in the world who do not produce art. Creativity is a part of the distinction between man and non-man. All people are to some degree creative. Creativity is intrinsic to our mannishness. "


Francis Schaeffer


"The truth is that everything that a Christian involves himself in should become sacred. After all, God created all things and He calls us to bring glory to Him in all that we do. If there were no God then we wouldn’t have reason to do anything. It’s the rest of the world that is living the lie and trying to find meaning without God. We know we have meaning in our lives so we should express that in all that we do, thus all our efforts become sacred acts, including our use and creation of the arts."


Ben Campbell

4 Comments:

At 7:08 AM, Blogger greatwhitebear said...

These quotes are great, especially the exchanges between daughter and grandson. I often wish I could just follow my granddaughters around with a tape recorder.

I realize I am showing my age here.... who is Turbo-man?

 
At 10:10 AM, Blogger greenemama said...

turbo man is the horrible super hero played, in part, by the nearly equally horrible actor arnold schwartzneggar in the 1996 movie "jingle all the way" about christmas shopping obsessed parents, among other things. sigh. "it's come to this."

 
At 12:30 PM, Blogger prairie girl said...

Bear,

I have started keeping a notebook handy just so I can remember what my 3 year old grandson says. He could be his own standup comedy show!

Oh, and he LOVES Turbo Man. Actually, the movie is pretty funny, the best part being that Sinbad plays a disgruntled postal worker all stressed out during the holidays and looking for the illusive action figure, Turbo Man, as is Arnold Schwartzneggar.

 
At 5:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Francis Schaeffer quote was exactly the thought (although not so eloquently or completely formed) that was going through my mind yesterday as I read an aol.com article about a zoo that had installed a live human exhibit in order to highlight the relationship between humans and other primates.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home